Classroom management


During my tenure as regional director one of the school leaders complained to me about an "unruly" lower-primary classroom whose students did not respond positively to any reward, or other consequences system, which they and the class teacher had tried.
After meeting with the teacher, during a lesson observation that we scheduled in order to look further into the matter, the Director made sure to draw my attention to specific student misbehaviour using head and eye gestures, repeatedly. About fifteen minutes into the lesson, I suggested that we have seen what was enough for us to be able to make a conclusion. The leader agreed and added that what I have seen must have confirmed to me how difficult the group was as ''even our presence made no difference to them!''.
I politely disagreed. My point of view is that he was looking most of the time in the wrong direction: at the students - observing how they behaved, rather than at the teacher observing what s/he offered.
I explained that we could only understand student behaviour and interest in learning if we focus on the atmosphere and environment that the teacher facilitates.
I supported my argument with examples about what the teacher was doing to disengage the students and what s/he alternatively could have done to develop a captivating lesson.
Eventually, with some concerted effort that included students, the teacher and the leader, we were able to draw and execute a plan that tackled the problem successfully. 
Dear teacher,
The environment that you create is the main determinant of student interest and their learning outcomes. In all systems that I observed, it was always possible for me to find teachers who were successful in creating learning conducive environments, and who earned their students' love and respect.
To get practical advice, teachers re welcome to contact me via LinkedIn messenger, of via our website http://edugates.net/contact/ regarding specific actual classroom issues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a good school

A summary of educational theories (Merriam and Caffarella 1991: 138)

Using Transmedia in Education